Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Something on Pinterest Worked!!!

Today's blog post won't cause the controversy that my previous post about bullying did.  I will warn you, though--there are some graphic photos.  Steel yourself....

My Kitchenaid Stand Mixer has been my loyal and steadfast kitchen companion for more than 10 years. In our decade together we have churned out countless batches of cookies, pizza crusts, vats of applesauce, mounds of grated vegetables and cheese, birthday cakes and cupcakes, and many other delicious things.

I had been noticing lately that my old buddy had been starting to sound a little off.  She had been starting to strain when faced with thick cookie dough or a large batch of bread dough.  Despite her showing her age a bit I was not ready to write her off.  We don't throw things out in our house just because they are starting to slow down a little.  We try to fix them.

Pinterest to the rescue!

A while back instructions on how to maintain a stand mixer showed up on my feed.  Of course I pinned it, thinking it might come in handy some day.

That day came this past weekend when I mentioned to Richard that Old Red might need a little TLC.    This is what happened next:
This will probably void your warranty.

This is the sludge that came out of the mixer. Gross!

All nice and clean and ready for fresh grease
The worst part was when Richard had to hammer a couple of rivets out.  Hammering my mixer!  My friend! It hurt!

Fortunately, the instructions I linked to are very thorough and Old Red was put back together and purring like a kitten in no time.  If you want to try this for yourself, do it in a very well ventilated area. Richard actually moved outside after these pictures were taken as the fumes from the Varsol he used to clean the gears was really strong.

Have you had a successful Pinterest experience lately?

No comments: