Friday, August 6, 2010

Geeking Out

I am sorry I haven't posted here lately.  The main topics of this blog are off on adventures with their Grandparents and Aunties and Uncle.

My life has slowed down these past two weeks.  Sitting around, catching up on reading and movies and TV do not make interesting blog posts.  OK, I will tell you that if you haven't seen Inception, do.  It is incredible.  It will leave you thinking for days afterward.

Cooking grown up food is fun, and maybe I will write about  that on my food blog.  Do want to know what I cook when I don't have to take into consideration the likes and dislikes of three little critics?

I am making over Matthew's room into a Big Boy room.  When the transformation is complete, I will share the story with you.

So, where does Geeking Out come into play?  Yesterday Richard and I packed our overnight bags and headed into the Big City for a concert.

Who did we see?

Why Weird Al, of course!!!!

I knew this wouldn't be your typical concert from the moment I spotted the people waiting in line for t-shirts.  This could have easily been a gaming convention.  Nerds to the left of me, Dorks to the right, a Geek wearing a t-shirt showing a dejected Pluto in the solar system that rejected it next to me.(oh wait, he came with me, and I bought that t-shirt)  We were among our People.


 There were many moments of happy geekiness throughout the show.  The crowd went crazy when he played Canadian Idiot (he politely asked if we knew the definition of irony before starting the song).  Everyone sang along to the encore of The Saga Begins and Yoda.  (yes, we all knew all the words to those songs...are you going to beat us up and steal our lunch money now??)

Oh, and one of the great benefits of going to a Geeky concert is that no one really gets drunk and disorderly. (Unlike the Elton John show where Richard was repeatedly elbowed by a very drunk woman sitting next to him) and after the show we were able to have drinks in a largely empty bar at the venue since so many people had children with them!  

It was such a great evening for us.  So far, vacation time is treating us very well!

4 comments:

Ami said...

Love the tshirt...
and how come you didn't invite me? I know the words to those songs, too.

Carolyn said...

What? No Star Trek shirts???

The sentence: "Nerds to the left of me, Dorks to the right, a Geek wearing a t-shirt showing a dejected Pluto in the solar system that rejected it next to me.(oh wait, he came with me, and I bought that t-shirt)" just about made me pee my pants!

craftosaurus said...

Sounds like such a fun time! Yay!

naholter said...

The universe is spooky. Just this morning I was reminded (by somthing I came across in the car) of the first time I heard Weird Al; I was driving my daughter's class on a field trip to Mt. Rainier in the early 90's and they had one of his tapes along. I still get "The Rye and the Kaiser" stuck in my head occassinally.