Friday, August 13, 2010

Blue Steele*

This car is very special to Richard.  He has had it many years.  10 years ago he paid a body shop $800 to have it repainted.  This paintjob was starting to show a lot of wear and tear, but Richard didn't want to drop another grand on a new paintjob for this old car.  He took matters into his own hands.  He did some research and found out that you can paint a car by yourself for around $50.  Off to Home Depot we went. Why did I go?  I was the colour consultant.  So, over the course of three days Richard sanded, taped, primed, painted, sanded and then painted some more.

He is finally finished. It looks great. 




Look, kids! This is a cassette player.** It plays music on a special magnetized tape that rolls from reel to reel in that black plastic case. Mommy and Daddy have had to change their music formats FOUR times in their lives. Hey, just for fun, ask Grandma and Grandpa about 8-Tracks!



Just to the left of the cassette deck is the dash mounted bottle opener. Klassy.  They sure don't make cars like they used to!!

We hope Matthew isn't too traumatized by the change.  As I have mentioned before, Matthew loves this car.




*Do you like how I so deftly snuck that Zoolander reference in?

**The tape in the deck is the B52's Cosmic Thing. I don't know why I still have it. If you suddenly have Love Shack stuck in your head, you are around my age.

3 comments:

Ami said...

It looks great!

Thinking here... vinyl (still have quite a collection)8-track, cassette, CD and now MP3.

Gee. Think I'm older than you?

:)

Anonymous said...

Tiiiiin roof. Russssted!
[Thank you for that song. Jerk.]
--sonia/BeL.

Mariah said...

My folks had a car like that when I was growing up. It never looked as nice as the pretty blue.
The dash brought back so many memories. Ours, unfortunately, did not have a working radio or tape deck.