Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I can't believe I missed it!

Yesterday, while I was busy taking pictures of flowers I missed something very important: The anniversary of Dr. Seuss's birthday! I have been wracking my brain to come up with a post in Seussian Pentameter to mark the event, but my brain gears are very rusty. Instead, I give you a favourite tribute of mine. I am sure it has been around since the Dark Ages of the Internet, but I still find it hilarious. I am super cool, don't you know??

So, what is your favourite Dr. Seuss book? Emmett loves Wacky Wednesday. I like the facial workout Fox in Socks gives me. Happy Birthday to you is just so uplifting and joyful to read, The Lorax is strangely prophetic.....how can you pick just one??


If Dr. Seuss wrote for Star Trek: The Next Generation...

Author: Dave Fuller

Picard: Sigma Indri, that's the star,
So, Data, please, how far? How far?

Data: Our ship can get there very fast
But still the trip will last and last
We'll have two days til we arrive
But can the Indrans there survive?

Picard: LaForge, please give us factor nine.

LaForge: But, sir, the engines are offline!

Picard: Offline! But why? I want to go!
Please make it so, please make it so!

Riker: But sir, if Geordi says we can't,
We can't, we mustn't, and we shan't,
The danger here is far too great!

Picard: But surely we must not be late!

Troi: I'm sensing anger and great ire.

Computer: Alert! Alert! The ship's on fire!

Picard: The ship's on fire? How could this be?
Who lit the fire?

Riker: Not me.

Worf: Not me.

Picard: Computer, how long til we die?

Computer: Eight minutes left to say goodbye.

Data: May I suggest a course to take?
We could, I think, quite safely make
Extinguishers from tractor beams
And stop the fire, or so it seems...

Geordi: Hurray! Hurray! You've saved the day!
Again I say, Hurray! Hurray!

Picard: Mr. Data, thank you much.
You've saved our lives, our ship, and such.

Troi: We still must save the Indran planet --

Data: Which (by the way) is made of granite...

Picard: Enough, you android. Please desist.
We understand -- we get your gist.
But can we get our ship to go?
Please, make it so, PLEASE make it so.

Geordi: There's sabotage among the wires
And that's what started all the fires.

Riker: We have a saboteur? Oh, no!
We need to go! We need to go!

Troi: We must seek out the traitor spy
And lock him up and ask him why?

Worf: Ask him why? How sentimental.
I say give him problems dental.

Troi: Are any Romulan ships around?
Have scanners said that they've been found?
Or is it Borg or some new threat
We haven't even heard of yet?
I sense no malice in this crew.
Now what are we supposed to do?

Crusher: Captain, please, the Indrans need us.
They cry out, "Help us, clothe us, feed us!"
I can't just sit and let them die!
A doctor MUST attempt -- MUST try!

Picard: Doctor, please, we'll get there soon.

Crusher: They may be dead by Tuesday noon.

*COMMERCIAL BREAK, COMMERCIAL BREAK
HOW LONG WILL THESE DUMB ADS TAKE?*

Worf: The saboteur is in the brig.
He's very strong and very big.
I had my phaser set on stun --
A zzzip! A zzzap! Another one!
He would not budge, he would not fall,
He would not stun, no, not at all!
He changed into a stranger form
All soft and purple, round and warm.

Picard: Did you see this, Mr. Worf?
Did you see this creature morph?

Worf: I did and then I beat him fairly.
Hit him on the jaw -- quite squarely.

Riker: My commendations, Klingon friend!
Our troubles now are at an end!

Crusher: Now let's get our ship to fly
And orbit yonder Indran sky!

Picard: LaForge, please tell me we can go...?

Geordi: Yes, sir, we can.

Picard: Then make it so!

Copyright © 1995 Dave Fuller.
Return to the Dr. Seuss parody page or back to The Dr. Seuss Web Page.

Page maintained by David Bedno (drseuss@seuss.org).

2 comments:

Ami said...

The Sneetches.

I can still recite the entire thing, an unexpected gift from having read it approximately 2000 times.

Loved the parody.

tammi said...

Oooo, I LOVE The Sneetches, too!! My favourite!

This parody is so funny ~ actually, I don't think I've ever come across a Seuss-ified ANYTHING that wasn't!!

I'm totally jealous that your camera has a snow setting.