Friday, May 16, 2008

A new playdress.

My little girl has a long torso. This means that most t-shirts don't fit her properly and her little belly hangs out. I don't particulary like that look on three year olds.

I have an addiction to plaid. Madras plaid sundresses on little girls make my heart sing. Char had a couple of sundresses that fit her well last year, but due to a growth spurt they are far too short. There was still a lot of wear left in the fabric, the colours were still lovely and I hated to see these dresses out of the wardrobe.

What's a resourceful momma with a sewing machine to do? I chopped the bodices off the sundresses, gathered the skirts to fit and sewed them to the hems of the t-shirts. Voila! New playdresses for free!




A beloved Dora shirt. I am so happy the fabric I had available matched the t-shirts so perfectly.
This was a very hard shot to take--my girl doesn't stand still for long.

See? This is much closer to her natural state. Clearly these dresses are comfy to play in.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect! And so cute!

April said...

When do you find the time? I need some pointers...

Unknown said...

cookies. tv. bribe shamelessly.


Wanna go to the park later??

Anonymous said...

You are such an amazing and inspiring person, I mean it.
And exactly, where do you find the time?
ttyl

Unknown said...

I only clean the house when I can't find the baby.

April said...

Hey Jen, sorry didn't get the park invite til just now! Let's try for another day this weekend! My parents are in town today, so not today--but maybe one of the others. I have the long weekend monday off too.

Heather said...

What an awesome idea! I am plagued with a long torso, making dresses with a fixed "waist" impossible for me to wear. I have one daughter with this same problem, and one with an extra *short* torso. I never considered altering existing (old, used up, otherwise useless) clothes. Thanks for the inspiration. They look wonderful!