Thursday, January 10, 2008

I hope this can help us.

Genetic flaw appears to increase risk of autism

Updated Wed. Jan. 9 2008 5:04 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Researchers have made an important discovery in the search for answers in the mystery of autism. They've identified a genetic flaw that appears to increase one's susceptibility to the condition.

The researchers found that a segment of chromosome 16 is either missing or duplicated in about one per cent of individuals with autism or related disorders.

That may not sound like much, but the study's senior author, Dr. Mark Daly, of the Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Human Genetic Research, tells CTV News that those people who have this chromosomal abnormality have "a very, very high risk of autism."


I saw this on the news this morning. You can read the complete story here. I am hoping that with this new discovery the genetic testing Emmett is scheduled for this Spring will really be able to give us answers. I know that experts have told us that Emmett is not Autistic, but he does have some behaviours that Autistic children exhibit. In my quest to get Emmett the help he needs I feel like I am putting together a puzzle with half the pieces missing. I feel like this is one more piece found. It seems so funny that the one time I get to turn on the news for five minutes in the morning this is the story I see.

God is with me. I just know it.

At the very least, I know that this means hope for many, many families besides mine.

No comments: