Sunday, March 12, 2006

I thought I was too young for this.

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. by Mark Twain.

The most shocking thing greeted me in the mirror yesterday morning. It was my mother's face with my glasses and my (latest) hair colour staring back at me. Where did she come from? Why did she leave a smile line on my face?? Is this Mother Nature's belated birthday gift to me? Where can I return it?

I have very dry skin. It is prone to ashyness and dullness in the winter. This means I had a blessedly acne-free adolescence. I guess this also means my skin is more prone to premature wrinkling.

My mind raced as I contemplated this new development. What do I do?? I mositurize. I use proper facial cleanser in the shower. (The best way to strike fear and terror in a cosmetic salesperson's heart is to say you use body wash or "shudder" plain soap on your face) Is it time to see the doc at my clinic who has the nice syringes of Restylane and Botox in her office? Ok, so the last one was panic mode setting in. I did the next best thing. I went to the drugstore and bugged the lady at the cosmetic counter. Do I drink enough water? Not usually. Do I exfoliate? Not enough. Ok, so I have some work to do. I was impressed that the salesperson asked some fairly reasonable questions before trying to sell me stuff. Don't get me wrong, I did walk away with some new foundation with "anti-aging" ingredients and some concealer that I needed anyway. I needed both of those things, really I did! I also picked up an exfoliating cleanser so I can rub that wrinkle right off. At the counter was a bottle of anti-aging serum. The price tag said $200. That is my grocery budget for two weeks. What is in the bottle? Do people actually buy this stuff? Do you get your money back if it doesn't work? I think I will just drink more water.

Richard didn't notice the new addition to my face. When I pointed it out to him he squinted to see it. Hey, he knows which side his bread is buttered on, and the best way to continue having your bread buttered is to not point out that your wife's appearance is changing. I know it is more obvious than that because the friend I went shopping with said "Hey where did THAT [the wrinkle] come from??" Girlfriends can say that. Husbands can't. It's the law.

I think I like Mark Twain's words the best. I'm just going to keep smiling. (and drink water and exfoliate--I do have some vanity)

No comments: